3.2.1 Making your calendar

This activity puts into practice the tips learnt previously for better planning.

Making an online calendar → Google Calendar can be found online or as an APP, and can be used on both Microsoft and IOS/Apple. It is free to use as long as the participant has/creates a Google account (gmail). Google Calendar allows the users to easily schedule events, invite guests and add/view friends’ calendars. The users can also sync their calendar with their mobile devices. The participants can find all the information they need on how to create a Google Calendar in this tutorial: https://youtu.be/IyHvKYeeuB8

Transcription

0:03
Hello, everyone, welcome to another video dusty here and in today’s video, I’m going to give you a full rundown and tutorial showing you how to get set up and start using Google Calendar. Even if you are just starting with Google Calendar as your new calendar system, or if you’ve been using it for a while and looking for some tips and pointers on how to better utilise and use, you know, use it more efficiently. This is the video for you, I’m going to try to cut out as much fluff as possible, but also give you all of the bells and whistles and all of the full details of how to add events, how to share calendars, how to do all the things that you’re going to want to do with the calendar system this day and age. So let’s go ahead and get started. So the first thing you’ve got to do, obviously, is login to your Google account. So when you log into your Google account, you’re going to see your icon in the upper right hand corner, whether you’re utilising Gmail, so if you use the little icons up here, you can see you can access YouTube Gmail calendar, but again, on your account, you need to go to google.com or just google right Google account and sign up for a Google account if you don’t already have one. But you probably do if you’re watching this video. So just wanted to cover those bases there, make sure you’re logged in, and you are at the Google calendar page, you can go to calendar google.com. And that’ll take you directly to your native calendar. Now, I’m gonna go over the UI just a little bit here before I dive into the actual nuts and bolts of how to use the actual calendar. So on the left hand side here, you’re gonna see an kind of a bird’s eye view here of the month that you are in. So if we hit these arrows right in left, we can quickly browse our months here in the year that we’re in, and then you can go as far forward or as far backward as you want. Down below, we’re gonna see our calendars here, any calendar that I have created or added it from the Google suite of calendars will be here under my calendars. And then under other calendars, these are ones that I’ve added. And I’ll show you how to do that very shortly from the list or the suite of calendars that Google has built in. So again, you can click the arrow here to minimise or maximise to see all of them and then you can check or uncheck them if you want to actually see the events or the actual calendar events on the actual calendar. So if I uncheck this one here, my main calendar, you can see all of the blue text goes away or the blue highlighted text goes away. That is because I have decided to deselect that calendar, and anything that is within that calendar will be removed. And speaking of the colour coding here, I normally like to keep mine different colours just so I know what is what. So my wedding calendar here I do wedding videography, will obviously be a green colour. So this dark green over here on the 30th of the Saturday, March 30, you can see that event is on the wedding calendar. So if I unselect or deselect that, that will be removed. This is great for if you just want to see things in a particular calendar, you can deselect everything here, and as you can see, everything will be removed except for the calendar that you leave checked. So again, that’s kind of how all of that works there. On the left hand side, the main screen here is going to be your calendar, I should say this, by the way, everything I’m showing you on desktop will be very similar on mobile as of recording of this video. The only difference is the default input will be obviously you you touching your screen as opposed to clicking the mouse that shouldn’t have to be said, but again, I’ll have someone in the comments that what you told me, it’s gonna be the same on mobile. Not exactly, but but it is very similar. So let’s dive into it here. On the upper right hand of your screen there, you’re gonna see a drop down that says month date week year schedule. Now, this is going to be how you view your calendar. Now if I want to view my calendar weekly, I click the weekly option here and I can see a better breakdown of this week. So let’s say it’s Monday morning, I want to see what’s going on this week, I can go hit that drop down menu there, select week just like this, or hit the W key on my keyboard. And that’ll take me to the week view, this can show me exactly the types of different things that are going to be happening. I can scroll the different weeks here. So let’s just say I want to go to march. So here we are, let’s go to this week in March. As you can see, coming up in a few hours, I do have an event. And it lets me know the time that it starts and lets me know what calendar it’s on. Any event that is going to be an all day event will be at the top of the week there. And then if you want to, you can even go to a day view. And if you have a whole bunch of events or calendars or appointments, those will be listed here. And you can see your full day breakdown just like this here. Now if we go to schedule now schedule basically is not going to show you any days that have no events or no, I guess you would say appointments on them. Basically it’s going to show you every single thing you have and all of your calendars in basically a bullet style list. So where you can go in see what calendar, see what time and see what day all of those events are now I rarely use that actual viewpoint. I normally love to use the month viewpoint or the weekly viewpoint just so I can see everything in the in the grand scheme of things. But that’s how you change how you view now if you want to search your calendar and you’re like I knew I had something coming up, but I have no idea Do what day or what week I set that for, click the Search tab here and you can search it. So let’s say I want to search for that wedding that I have coming up. If I go here search for it comes up March 30. It’s an all day event. And you can search just like you would within any other software or in Google. And then when you’re ready to go, click the back arrow here to get directly back to your calendar.

5:21
Now let’s talk about the fun stuff, right? How do I add events to a day on my calendar, so let’s say you have something coming up on the 26th of March, okay. 2019. Obviously, if you’re watching this in the future, apply the date that’s applicable for this time of you watching the video, double click Okay, within that specific day, so go to the day, double click Now, again, you can if we go back here, you can single click on the day and have a kind of a tab come up to add it really quickly. But honestly, I recommend you double clicking because you can get to where you can have more details. Now if you just want to add something really quick, quick Something came up, you can single click and do it that way. But I recommend you double clicking and then go ahead and type in what it is, let’s say appointment one, okay, and the appointment is not going to be all day. Now. If the if the appointment is going to be all day, click the check mark here by all day normally by default that is that is selected. By that you’re going to see something that says does not repeat. Now this is where you get into the nitty gritty of things that are going to be repeating on your calendar, let’s say you want to put your workouts or you know you’re trying to work out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Basically, what you can do here is you can go to right here where it says does not repeat, select the drop down menu. Now some some are very simply are very simple. You can click here if it’s going to be weekly on Tuesday if this events going to happen every Tuesday, if it’s going to happen monthly on the fourth Tuesday of every month, annually on March 26. Like a birthday, every weekday, Monday to Friday, it gives you a couple of examples here. But if you want to customise exactly when this event is going to repeat, click the custom tab here. And you’re going to see here, this little box come available to you. You want this to repeat every one week. So you want it to be weekly, you want it to repeat on, say, Mondays, or let’s say Tuesdays and Thursdays you want it to repeat on Tuesday and Thursday. And when do you want it to end? Do you want it to end never you want it to keep going you want to continue to work out or do you want it to end at the end of the year. So go all the way to say December 2019 December 31, it’ll end at the end of the year, okay, or you can say oh, I’ve got six appointments that I need to do, I want it to be you know, go down to the six number here. And then after six times on the calendar, it will end or you can just choose never and you’re good to go. So you want to repeat weekly or you can do monthly, yearly or daily. And then once you’ve done that you’ve selected when you want it to end the days you want it to repeat on click Done. And then you can see here it’s going to be weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Now, if you want to add a location, this is great for businesses like mine who you know, do wedding videography or things like that, you can add a location. That way you can have an address to pull up on your phone to if you’re very bad at geography like I am, and you need a GPS everywhere you go, which is something that I’m trying to get away from, you can add a location here to make it much easier. Now add conferencing, just ignore that here. I have installed an app, a zoom app, and I’ll show you how to instal different apps to add to your Google Calendar at the end of this video.

8:24
So stick around for that if you want to know how to do that. Underneath add notification. Do you want to be notified? Is this something you need to be reminded about? Normally, I have a I’m looking at my calendar rather frequently. So I rather you know I normally don’t do notifications. But if you want to be notified and Google will send you an email though, it’ll notify you, I want to be notified one day before at 9am. And then it’ll send you a notification saying, hey, you’ve got an event coming up this time this day. Basically, that’s it and you can add another notification. If you’re like some people who need alarm clocks like five or six times during the morning, maybe you need to set up multiple notifications, but I don’t know maybe you don’t. The next thing here is the calendar that you want to add it to now if you’re new to Google Calendar, you probably only have one calendar. But if you have multiple calendars, select the drop down menu, select the different calendar that you want to add it to and then select the highlighted colour. Normally I leave the colour to the native calendar colour, it just makes it easy. Underneath this here, do you want to be shown as free or busy now this is if you’re setting up appointments with other people throughout the week throughout the days. If you put busy here, which you probably want to do, if you have an event or an appointment, you can see here that this is going to be public for people to see anyone who is sharing this calendar or looking at this calendar will be able to see that you are busy if you change this to public Now, if the default is public, but if you want that to be private, you can change that here as well. Under description, write down and whatever you want to put here, describe the event or appointment that you’re setting up. And then the last thing I’m going to show you is probably the biggest thing here on events is going to be guest so if you want to include or an invite people so they can have this on their calendar, which by the way, this will add the event on any calendar. It doesn’t have to be Google calendar or G Cal, it can be iCal, it can be windows count whatever they’re using, this will basically just give them a notification or a an ability to add this to their specific calendar that they are using. So under add a guest here, we can go here, and we can see that we have different people. So if I want to add, let’s say, I want to add Andrew to my event here or appointment, I can just go and search by email there and do it that way. Or you can type in a brand new email here, if you want to do that as well. Now, the the thing that I’m going to do here is when I click save, it’s going to ask me, would you like to send invitation emails to Google Calendar? guests. Okay, so if I hit send here, that’s going to notify Andrew that I’ve added him to an event, would he like to add this to his calendar? Okay, that’s something that’s very important. Now, if you don’t want to send it or if they’ve requested that you don’t give them any type of notifications, then you just put don’t send, or you just hit cancel changes, that’s really up to you. I’m going to go ahead and hit don’t send because I do not want him to get that now, as you see here. If I scroll down on different months here on my calendar, you can see every Tuesday, every Thursday for the foreseeable future, actually forever, because I didn’t select an end date, there’s going to be that appointment. Now. How do I go and edit and have you know, an appointment or an event after it’s already been added? Very simple. Select one of the appointments or events, just click on it here, you can do it here within the direct box, or you can double click, that’ll take you directly back to this here. Now, how do we delete this event? Basically, what we do is we go to more actions appear in the drop down menu in the centre of the screen, and then go here where you see duplicate, delete print, click the Delete button, it’ll ask you do you want to delete the recurring event or maybe it’s just stopped for this particular day and week, what I recommend you do is go to all events. If you want to remove the entire event, click OK.

12:00
Go ahead. And would you like to send the cancellation emails to the guests on this event, which again, that really is dependent for you, you can enter an optional message As for why you’re cancelling and then hit send that will cancel that particular event and all of the ones in the future. All right. Now let’s talk about what you do. If you want to actually go back and add someone to an event very simple. You go here, you double click on the event you go here you can see I have two guests, two confirmed guests. By the way, if they’ve confirmed it, you’ll see a check green checkmark by their name. But you can always go back at a later date and add guests directly here from the format page within the event settings. Basically, that’s it and then you just hit save, and you’re good to go. A couple of things that you can do within the event, other than what we’ve done here is go to more actions, you can print the event, you can duplicate it to other days, you can copy it to different calendars, you can publish the event to a public calendar, or you can even change the owner very rarely would you do any of that. But if you want to, you definitely can. Now let’s talk about calendars themselves. Let’s say you have a team. And you want to create a calendar for your team to share that you all can see and you all can look at at any given time. If that’s something you want to do underneath the bird’s eye view here, you’re going to see something that says Add calendar. If we click the three dots here, we’re gonna see a couple of different options, we can create a new calendar, which is what I just mentioned, we can browse calendars of interest, which we’ll get into that shortly from a URL if someone said, hey, I’ve already created our team calendar. Here’s the link for that. And I’ll show you how to populate that link yourself. You can do that from URL or if we click on Import, we can even bring other people this is very important for people coming from say iCal outlook, other calendars, you can go here and import from a file and bring your calendar and events and settings directly into Google Calendar very, very easily and efficiently. Now, if we click the three dots again, and we go to create a new calendar, this is where all of the magic happens. Okay, so we’re going to create a new calendar now and we’re going to call it calendar to touch for tutorial we’re going to give it a description bunch of different words there if you want to add the timezone here whatever native timezone that you are in and that you use, Google’s pretty good about changing and manipulating the timezone. So I would just use the one that you’re currently living in makes it much simpler for you when you’re setting up appointments and events. And then when you’re ready, click the button here that says Create calendar. Now once it creates once it’s done, it’ll say calendar to successfully created here at the bottom. You’ll see it over here on your settings. Now if you want to change settings for one of your current calendars, you can just select them here under settings, and then access permissions share with specific people. Again, you can go here once you’ve created your calendar and basically change all of these things. We can add people to the calendar, like say your team members, you can give event notifications as far as a template for for events. You can add all day event notifications, you can give general notifications, you can basically change all of the back end things with your calendar directly From the settings here, now, if you want to integrate your calendar, you’ll have a calendar ID, you’ll have a public URL to this calendar, it’ll have access for people to view the calendar, but not to add and things like that. There’s so many things you can do here, I’m not going to go over all of them. But if you have any questions about any one in particular, put those comments in the section below this video. And I’ll try to help you out the best way I know possible. Now, if you want to share a calendar, okay, basically, what you would do is you would take that link from that page we were just at and send that to your team member, and you would be good to go. Now if we want to delete a calendar, go to the options here, go to create new calendar again to get to this page, and then go to the calendar that you’ve created that you want to delete. And then basically, all you’re going to do here is basically here at the bottom, you’re going to see something that says remove calendar, click Remove calendar here. And then when you’re ready to go click the Delete button is at the very bottom, it’ll say Are you sure you want to permanently delete this calendar, click permanently delete, and you are good to go. So that’s the basics of Google Calendar. Now if you want to get into the more, I guess you would say intermediate or advanced things, you can add different apps to Google Calendar. So if we go over here to this actual addition symbol here, it says get add ons. If we go to that I’ve already have zoom for Google Calendar added. You can add goto meeting, you can add other conferencing suites and things like that, we can go down to productivity search for apps that you know are related to creative tools here. And again, if there is a app for the calendar that basically works with Google Calendar, it’ll be here and you can go here and select that and you can just instal it like you would within Gmail and tools that you’re using within that suite as well.

16:43
Thank you guys so so much for watching this video. Hopefully it was helpful if it was put down below the questions that may arise when you’re watching this video. Don’t forget to share with people who you think could find this content useful and I will see you guys in the next one.

Making a paper calendar → To print an already made calendar visit this website: http://myonlysunshineblog.com/blog-1/2019/7/31/free-2021-printable-calendars and choose the calendars of your liking, click on the image and print the document. Now you just have to fill in your own activities and events.

For your own calendar it is encouraged that you customize your calendar to the design that suits your needs and tastes. Adding visuals to your calendar, making the separations between days and time clear, and giving enough space for the event description are important to keep the calendar easily readable. Decorating the calendar with colours, drawings and shapes is also a good way to make the calendar be more personalized and be something you like to look at. A short tutorial on how to craft a calendar can help to give the participants a starting point: https://youtu.be/0et_Aep74Ao

Transcription

Welcome to HGTV Handmade with me Meg’s someone who has a hard time keeping track of the year. If you are like me, then you’re looking forward to a new calendar this year. But if you’re like me, you also might struggle sticking with it. So today I’m going to show you three different styles have calendars so you can pick which one you’ll actually use and provide you with several tips and tricks to keep your calendar game strong. All your layout cardstock and for a complimentary paint palette with a dry brush. Create strokes in different directions. Paint a different pattern on each sheet of paper until you have 12. While that dries, draw a grid of one inch squares or download my template in the description. Scan. print and cut out 12 grids. Add the grid to the bottom half of your cardstock with double sided tape. Fill in the month and days with an oil based head punched a hole at the top centre of each piece. Cut a four inch piece of wire and bend it into an oval shaped hanger. And voila. In the centre of a piece of cardstock write out the month and days and the day numbers 2018 starts on a Monday. add any designs you want to the top. I’m going with a holographic word theme for this calendar. Add a different word or phrase for each month until it’s full. Hang the same way you did the first one. And for a week at a glance calendar, add an open six box grid on cardstock. Write out each day in the squares and the weekend for the weekend. Scan and print a bunch of copies 52 for the whole year. I have a template for you in the description. Use the same brush stroke technique and a gold pen for a glam calendar. Use a gold clip to keep it all together. colour coding your calendar with different family members each having their own colour or if it’s just for you having a different colour for work home friends, it makes your calendar easy to read at a quick glance, set a reminder for once a week to sync your phone calendar and your hard calendar so you’re all on the same page. If you’re ready to head out the door and you don’t feel like bringing your hardcopy calendar with you go ahead and just take a pic of the month that you’re on. So you know your availability wherever you go. Pick one of the three styles of calendars that I show you to fit your individual needs, then you’ll actually stick with it. Be sure to fill up the comments section below which of these three calendars is your jam? Is it the week at a glance that you can just rip off or do you like to see your entire month all at once? Let us know below and be sure to give us any tips or tricks that help you stick with your calendar all year long. In the comment section below. Be sure to give it a thumbs up and subscribe to HGTV Handmade awesome DIY is all year long this year.